Who is DSA?
Current, wind, and waves are our business.
At Dynamic Systems Analysis we are constantly engaged in solving new and unique ocean engineering problems.
After years of experience of ocean analysis and research, the number one question we are asked from clients is:
How will my “ ___________ ” respond to current, wind, and waves?
Our clients ask us this question in a variety of unique ways:
- How will my towed body respond at different tow speeds and depths?
- How will my mooring respond to wind and waves?
- How will my ship behave in a seaway?
- How should I tow this barge?
- How will the pipeline be loaded during install?
- How much energy can my WEC extract from the waves?
- Will my tidal platform be stable in current and waves?
That efficient problem solving is the basis of how DSA came to be.
In the spring of 2006 graduate Mechanical Engineering students at the University of Victoria, Dean Steinke and Ryan Nicoll were toiling away in the Subsea Robotics laboratory – and the ProteusDS simulation software was born. That summer, Dynamic Systems Analysis Ltd. was founded with the mission to bring dynamic analysis to the masses through consulting and numerical modelling software.
A core component of the ProteusDS dynamic analysis software package was the advanced finite-element cable model developed by Dr. Brad Buckham, an associate professor at the University of Victoria. This close relationship with academics continues today at DSA with ProteusDS being used in many academic environments around the globe, from seakeeping courses to advanced wave and tidal energy research programs.
Over the past decade, ProteusDS has developed into a full-featured hydrodynamic, mechanical and marine dynamic analysis software package. This customizable, validated, and efficient software is the heart of our business.
DSA has been propelled forward by providing numerical modelling consulting services across a wide variety of ocean sectors. Our small team of industry experts allows us to develop a close working relationship with our colleagues and our clients. We aspire for a place, where work, life and inspiration are all equal and integrated in our products and services. This is the basis of how we approach every work day ensuring our continued excitement for every project we work on.
Today, DSA has grown to 8 employees, with offices on the east and west coasts of Canada. We work with companies all over the world in a wide range of marine industries such as:
- Aquaculture and fisheries (net cage analysis, mooring)
- Defence (launch and recovery, towed arrays, submarines)
- Marine renewable energy (wave & tidal energy, floating wind, marine operations)
- Naval architecture ( seakeeping, towing, manoeuvring, winches, piles)
- Ocean technology (buoys, moorings, oceanography, towed bodies, ROVs, AUVs)
- Offshore & Subsea (moorings, pipelines, risers, floating structures, installation analysis)
We’ve carefully built a top-notch team that our clients are excited to work with. Because we only choose people with skills that complement and enhance those of our existing team members, our clients know that their projects are in expert hands.
FOR THE GOOD OF THE OCEAN